Verified Voting (www.verifiedvoting.org), founded by computer scientists in 2004, is a leading national not-for-profit, non-partisan organization whose mission is to strengthen democracy for all voters by promoting the responsible use of technology in elections. Partnering with other advocacy organizations, Verified Voting advocates for changes in policy, procedures and law that will advance the goal of ensuring our elections are secure and verifiable, and serves as the “go to” resource for state and local governments on issues of voting technology.
The unprecedented events of the 2016 election cycle focused the nation’s attention once again on the machinery and infrastructure of democracy. As Robert Mueller declared, “There were multiple, systematic efforts to interfere in our elections. That allegation deserves the attention of every American.” This unprecedented threat to our voting systems emphasizes the need for a national response to strengthen our electoral processes.
We are looking to hire an exceptional Communications Officer to join our team. The Verified Voting Communications Officer will be responsible for telling our story to a variety of audiences and integrating our mission, values and goals into a comprehensive communications strategy.
Communications Officer responsibilities
- Develop, support and promote organizational goals, including message development, content creation and social media outreach
- Reporting to the President, the Communications Office will work with the Development Officer and communications consultants in aligning media relations and donor relations strategies and communications
- Write and disseminate communications materials that increase our visibility among stakeholders, lawmakers and other target audiences
- Ensure digital marketing content aligns with our organization’s mission, values and message
- Identify target audiences and create strategies that build and maintain relationships with stakeholders who will help advance our work
- Measure and report on the effectiveness and timing of communications activities
- Assist with other external and internal communications duties as needed
- At least a Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or related field
- A minimum of two years of relevant experience in a communications role
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Knowledge of social media marketing tactics a plus
- Excellent critical thinking skills and the ability to exercise good judgment and solve problems quickly and effectively
- Experience drafting social media content
- Experience updating website content via platforms such as WordPress
- Proficiency with email communications platforms such as MailChimp
- Good interpersonal, time management and organizational skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Dropbox, G-Suite, content management systems, and social media platforms
- Bonus points for knowledge of desktop publishing software (e.g.InDesign/Photoshop), and knowledge of Salesforce
This position is located in Verified Voting’s headquarters in Philadelphia PA. To apply, please send a cover letter, resume and two writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. Salary range $65-$75K commensurate with experience.
We value multiple perspectives and viewpoints from diverse constituencies because we recognize that diversity informs more effective solutions. We value the wide-ranging perspectives that our colleagues and collaborators bring to the table and we create an environment for all voices to be heard. Verified Voting is an equal opportunity employer.