Verified Voting (www.verifiedvoting.org), founded by computer scientists in 2004, is a leading national not-for-profit, non-partisan organization whose mission is to strengthen democracy for all voters by promoting the responsible use of technology in elections.
The unprecedented events of the 2016 election cycle focused the nation’s attention once again on the machinery and infrastructure of democracy. As Robert Mueller declared, “There were multiple, systematic efforts to interfere in our elections. That allegation deserves the attention of every American.” This unprecedented threat to our voting systems emphasizes the need for a national response to strengthen our electoral processes especially now as we approach the 2020 Presidential election.
Since 2006, Verified Voting has been collecting data on the nation’s voting machines and making it available through an interactive map on VerifiedVoting.org called “the Verifier.” The Verifier now offers the most comprehensive publicly available set of data related to voting equipment usage in the United States. For each federal election cycle dating back to its creation, the Verifier documents the specific voting equipment in use in every jurisdiction across the country.
To keep the information in this database current, Verified Voting is seeking a full-time Research Assistant to gather and update the data that is used in the Verifier. The Research Assistant will report directly to the Senior Editor and Data Specialist.
Candidates residing in the Philadelphia area are strongly preferred. Salary range is $39K-$44K commensurate with experience.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Gather data on which technology is in use in various jurisdictions across the U.S.
- Collect information directly from election officials (e.g., by phone) by building relationships with them
- Maintain records of information requested and track follow-ups
- Input collected data and other information into content management system and other digital repositories (e.g. spreadsheets)
- Write summaries of technology systems, as well as research and write other content related to aspects around these systems, to be published on Verified Voting’s website
- A. or B.S. degree
- Experience in gathering data, particularly hard-to-find data
- Excellent organizational skills
- Demonstrated familiarity with computer software or hardware specifications and versions
- Demonstrated familiarity with language in certification documents, test plans and reports a plus
- Friendly, excellent and positive communicator
- Strong listening skills
- Proven track record of building interpersonal relationships
- Persistent and resourceful in gathering information
- Honest about what one knows and doesn’t know
- Demonstrates integrity and upholds Verified Voting’s values of democracy, effectiveness, collaboration, trustworthiness and respect
We value multiple perspectives and viewpoints from diverse constituencies because we recognize that diversity informs more effective solutions. We value the wide-ranging perspectives that our colleagues and collaborators bring to the table and we create an environment for all voices to be heard.
Verified Voting is an equal opportunity employer. Please submit a resume and short cover letter regarding your interest in the position and salary requirements to: email@example.com. Verified Voting is an equal opportunity employer.